1. Jackson Cottage
This board-and-batten house was constructed in the 1880s. Junius Jackson, who was twenty-five years old in 1900, worked as a domestic servant in the nearby Bauknight house.
2. Charles Bauknight House
Originally built in about 1873 by store owner John Fleming, this house was later the residence of Charles W. Bauknight, who moved to Archer in 1874 and became a prominent mer-chant, farmer, and City Council mem-ber (1882-83). The house was enlarged in 1900, and the verandah, turret and gingerbread trim were added.
3. Laurel Hill Cemetery
Southwest end of Church Blvd.
The earliest grave in the cemetery is dated 1833, the average age of those buried is thirty-two and a half years, and the remains of many children are buried here. A plaque commemorates twenty to thirty Civil War soldiers.
4. Goodwood House Hotel
Built in 1888, this structure was originally a hotel that accommodated railroad travelers. Moving north-west along McDowell Street there were stores, a post office and a boarding house, in addition to homes, before the turn of the century.
5. Literary Society Hall
308 Bay Street
This austere frame vernacular building was built for the Literary Society (ca.1890) at a time when the town was prospering and the popula-tion was growing. It was acquired by the City of Archer for unpaid taxes in 1900 and remodeled in 1912 by Dave Taylor to serve as Town Hall and recreation center.
6. Methodist Church
400 Church Blvd.
A Methodist congregation was meeting in Archer as early as 1866. The cornerstone of this building was laid on May 13,1890 and a bell was mounted in the tower on June 22,1891.
7. Masonic Lodge
204 S.W. Main
The plain style of this structure, built about 1894, is typical of early commercial buildings. It is located near the site of the original railroad depot (1856), and was utilized as a general store with at least three different owners.
8. Maddox Foundry
103 Magnolia St.
The Maddox Foundry and Ma-chine Works opened in June 1905 at this site near the "new " railroad depot (ca.1900). The foundry was started by Hitup Maddox, who came from Ft. Valley, Georgia in 1892, and his wife Pearl Groves from Morriston, Florida. Cur-rent buildings date from the 1940s.
9. Helveston-Snavelly House
105 Depot Lane
This frame vernacular structure may be the oldest house in Archer. It was built for George Helveston, who was the agent for the railroad in 1870. A.B. Snavelly, listed as a landowner in the Florida Gazetteer and Business Directory (1884-5), added to the house in 1883.
10. Archer Depot
411 West Main
Built between 1893 and 1900, this "new" depot replaced the original one built in 1856. It was relocated to a site nearer the intersection of the Florida Central and Peninsular Railroad which later became part of the Seaboard Air Line; and the Florida Southern Railroad which was absorbed by the Atlantic Coast Line. The building is now the Archer Historical Museum.
11. David Levy Yulee/Cotton Wood Historical Marker
This historical marker has information about David Levy Yulee (1810-86), who played a significant role in Florida's early development, and about his plantation near Archer.
12. CD. Wood Store
409 West Main St.
Charles D. Wood, who is identified as a grocer and Mayor of Archer, built this structure in 1909 with the main fa-cade on the west side. The store sold ev-erything from coffee to coffins when it was owned by W.B. Long (ca.1920).
13. Venable and Robinson Building
410 West Main Street
The original Venable and Robinson' s Dry Goods Store was built in 1912 and the building housed Bishop's Drugs from 1932 to 1982. The buildings on the left (1927) and right (1943) are also associated with Monroe Venable, prominent farmer and businessman, and Mayor of Archer.
14. Neal-Wood House
300 West Main
Dr. James C. Neal purchased the land on which this house stands from the Florida Town Development Company in 1870, ten years before he left Indiana and moved to Archer. Merchant C.D. Wood, who came from Ohio, purchased the lot in 1883 from Neal for $800 and began to build this "large dwelling" in 1894.
15. Bethlehem Presbyterian Church
411 West Church
This structure, dedicated on December 7,1884, was built to serve the Presbyterian congregation organized in 1866. The design of the church; with tall windows, steeply pitched roof, bell tower and inset gable decoration, is similar to that of Kanapaha Presbyterian Church (1883).
16. James Skinner House
202 W. Peachtree
James Skinner, a black-smith and Union veteran of the Civil War, arrived in Archer from Nebraska in 1875; and built this house in 1883. An elaborate bay window and ornamental one-story porch distinguish this house from others in the town.
17. James Hancock House
315 Pearson Street
James Hancock, who built the house on this site in 1886, was married to James Skinner's sister, Jane; and the closest neighbor of the Pearson family. The original porch has been removed and the entrance changed to the side.
18. Charles E. Pearson House
301 E. Church
Charles E. Pearson, a Quaker, built this house in 1885, three years after he arrived in Archer with his parents Thomas B. and Mary Pearson. Charles'younger brother, Thomas Gilbert Pearson, who would later play a leading role in the development of the National Audubon Society, describes Archer in his autobiography.
19. W.B. Long House
207 S University
In the second decade of the twentieth century, Walter B. Long operated a general store in the building that had belonged to C.D. Wood. The main two-story part of his house built prior to 1910; the porch and single story addition were built in 1920.
20. William G. McDonald House
104 W. Main
This block and stucco house was built in 1928 by Milton Morper for W.G. McDonald.
21. Robert Heagy House
201 N. University
Built in 1912, this house was occupied by Robert Heagy, postmaster from 1914 to 1922 and owner of a general store in Archer.
22. Cotton Wood Plantation
The plantation belonged to David Levy Yulee, Florida's first Senator (1845-51) and builder of the Florida Railroad from Fernandina to Cedar Key. The main house, built about 1850, and other buildings of the period no longer exist. The plantation was the final destination (May 22,1865) of the baggage train carrying the Confederate treasury and papers of Jefferson Davis following the Union victory in the Civil War.