History of Campville
The town of Campville was officially founded on September 12, 1881 when a post office was established, but by that time a store, school, church, and approximately 20 houses were already located five miles north of Hawthorne on the main line of the Peninsular Railroad. The town was named for the Camp brothers; R.J., J.S., and B.F., who owned the sawmill which helped to spur the developing community. The brothers subdivided their extensive property holdings and sold lots to purchasers willing to comply with the deed restriction that liquor was never to be sold on the premises. In 1928 the population of the town was 300; and, in addition to the Campville Brick Company, it has a turpentine, citrus and pecan nursuries, and four general stores.