History of Windsor
Windsor was named by English cotton planters who settled the town in 1846. New residents from both northern and southern states were attracted by the development of citrus culture in the area. By the end of the Reconstruciton era, Windsor was prospering, and in 1884 a post office was established. In the 1890's the town boasted a doctor, three stores, a real estate office, a grist mill, two sawmills, and factories producing boxes, cedar baskets and fertilizer. Severe freezes in 1884, 1895, and 1899 devastated the orange groves and as a result Windsor's population declined. The post office closed in 1936.