Home Based Business

A photo of a desk with a computer on it

Why do I need a permit to start a home based business?
A permit is required to ensure that the business you're starting conforms to the character of your neighborhood, does not have a negative impact on your neighbors, does not pollute the environment, and conforms to the Land Development Code (ULDC) and all other County ordinances relating to Home Based Businesses.

Frequently Asked Questions

How many Home Based Businesses can I have?

Two permits for home-based businesses may be issued at one time for a single dwelling unit.

How long is the permit valid for and how much does it cost?

Each permit is valid for a period of up to two years but can be renewed administratively subject to continued conformance with the requirements outlined below. The cost of the permit is $70 every 2 years.

General Home based Businesses requirements.

General Home based Businesses are issued adminstratively by the Director of Growth Management or his designee

Rural Home based Businesses requirements.

Rural Home based Businesses must be approved administratively by the Growth Management Department.