Family Homestead Exceptions

A photo of house from satellite view

Florida Statute allows local governments to grant a Family Homestead Exception to property owners in the Rural/Agriculture area wishing to subdivide their piece of property into smaller lots than are typically allowed without it counting toward the density calculation for the property if it is for a member of their immediate family.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who qualifies as an immediate family member?

A grandparent, parent, stepparent, adopted parent, sibling, child, stepchild, adopted child, or grandchild of the owner.

Who approves or denies the application?

Administrative approval
The application can be approved administratively by the Director of Growth Management or his designee if for the creation of a single lot and the property being split is a parent parcel that has not been divided since October 2, 1991.

If the lot(s) do not meet the public road frontage requirement in the ULDC, then a Common Drive Lot Split must be approved by the County Engineer as a Right of Way Connection Permit. Apply at

Applicants must create a user account and then apply for the permit type Right of Way Connection permit, and subtype ‘Residential/Agricultural’ and choose the connection type ‘Common Drive (Lot Split)’.

Questions on the application process can be directed to the Public Works Department at 352-374-5240.

Development Review Committee approval
If the split is to create more than one new lot, or if the property has already been split some time after October 2, 1991, then the split(s) must be approved as a Family Homestead Subdivision through the Development Review Committee. Please check the Development Review Process.

What does the application cost?

For administrative applications, the fee is $70. For applications heard by the Board of Adjustment, the fee is $650.

What are the application submittal requirements?

  • Proof of legal lot of record.
  • Proof of Rural/Ag land use.
  • Proof of family relationship.
  • Proof of ownership for at least five years.
  • Affidavit stating 5 year residency commitment by family members.

What criteria must be met?

  • Parent parcel must be at least 2 acres.
  • Meets all other ULDC requirements.
  • Buildable area must be outside any conservation areas.